|calendar>>August 7. 2013 Juche 102|
CPRK Spokesman on Normalization of Operation in KIZ
| Pyongyang, August 7 (KCNA) -- The spokesman for the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPRK) released the following special statement Wednesday:
Four months have passed since the operation in the Kaesong Industrial Zone (KIZ) was temporarily suspended.
The six rounds of the working-level talks between authorities of the north and the south of Korea for normalizing operation in the KIZ proved fruitless and reached serious deadlock, making it hard to expect any prospect.
The KIZ brought hope and faith in reunification to the fellow countrymen over the past one decade despite any storm and stress. In case it collapses, it will seriously hurt the feelings of the fellow countrymen in the north and the south and have unspeakable impact on the inter-Korean relations. The Koreans will soon greet the 68th anniversary of the August 15 liberation of the country.
The longer the tragedy caused by the national division imposed by foreign forces upon the Koreans lasts, the more unbearable their pain will become and the stronger their hope for reunification grows.
At this time how can they allow the KIZ to collapse for good because it pleased the fellow countrymen so much as an icon of national reconciliation, cooperation and reunification?
At this moment both sides of the north and the south should save the assets common to the nation from the crisis and keep the zone afloat, not leading it to a total collapse. This is a patriotic and bold decision and just choice.
The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPRK) solemnly declares as follows upon the authorization, prompted by its desire to bring about a new phase of reconciliation, cooperation, peace, reunification and prosperity by normalizing operation in the KIZ and improving inter-Korean relations, and by its intention to alleviate the sufferings of south Korean businesses and minimize their damage and meet the expectation and aspiration of public opinion at home and abroad for detente, proceeding from the responsibility and mission it assumed before the nation now when the fate of the KIZ is in a critical situation:
1. The north side will lift the step for temporarily suspending operation in the KIZ it declared on April 8 last and totally allow the entry of south Korean businesses into the KIZ.
2. It will ensure the normal attendance of its workers at the south Korean enterprises which are ready to operate after equipment is checked.
3. It will guarantee the safety of personnel of the south side in the KIZ and fully protect the properties of businesses.
4. The north and the south will prevent the recurrence of the suspension of operation in the KIZ and ensure normal operation in the KIZ without being affected by any situation in any case.
5. If the south side responds to the expression of this bold and magnanimous stand, the north side will hold without any precondition the seventh round of the working-level talks for normalizing operation in the KIZ, which has been repeatedly requested by the south side's authorities, in the zone on August 14. It also proposes the talks yield good fruits and bring good news to all the Koreans with August 15 as a momentum.
We express expectation that the south Korean authorities will positively respond to this constructive proposal.
Copyright (C) KOREA NEWS SERVICE(KNS) All Rights Reserved.